New Head of Procurement appointed with six weeks of briefing
Three Category Managers appointed within nine weeks of briefing
Over 80% of candidates submitted were invited for interview
A market leading Management Consultancy were engaged by an international passenger transportation company to effect a major procurement transformation, which would have an impact across the entire organisation . The project was driven by a dynamic, forward thinking CFO who truly understood the value of a world class Procurement function.
The principle aims of the project were to develop a more influential and effective procurement function incorporating:
• True Category Management methodology
• Ability to engage and influence key stakeholders across the business
• Delivery of hard measurable savings to the bottom line
Recommended to the CFO by a Partner of the big 5 consultancy in question, edburydaley were engaged as the sole recruiting partner to identify a short list of candidates for the Head of Procurement role.
Despite the seniority of the position, we were able to employ a contingency search approach utilising our extensive network to source the successful candidate. This approach negated the need for a lengthy and more costly Search & Selection process normally associated with this level of appointment.
Once the Head of Procurement was in place edburydaley’s next task was to identify four Senior Category Managers for key areas of indirect spend, including IT and Marketing. These two spend areas are highly competitive for the best available talent.
A detailed and thorough brief featured the following key requirements:
• Ability to define and implement a category specific procurement strategy.
• Influence key stakeholders across Europe to achieve consensus in traditionally complex areas
• Manage some very specific supplier challenges including a monopoly supplier
• One position required a broad range of language skills
• Work to strict salary guidelines in a particularly competitive area of the market
edburydaley took this project on with the aim to produce fast and efficient recruitment results. We assembled a project team to act as sole supplier to our client and used a variety of resources to identify potential candidates including:
• Database search
• Broad range of online resources, including using advanced research tools
• Designed a discrete advertising campaign using several market leading job boards
• Extensive networking across our contacts in the procurement sector
• Five out of every six candidates submitted were invited for first interview.
• A third of candidates interviewed were asked back for second stage.
• With two of the roles recruited for we always had a reserve candidate whom would have been offered if the preferred candidate turned down the employment offer.
• We had three offers accepted within nine weeks of initial instruction on the Category Management roles.
• Three of the Category Managers started within three months of the roles being released to edburydaley.
• A broad range of relevant candidates were identified through various sourcing methods.
• These featured different levels of experience and varied backgrounds to give the client genuine choice.
• We sourced candidates from across the UK and Europe.
Due to this success edburydaley were asked to also source candidates for a Vendor Manager role focusing on business critical IT Outsourcing contracts. Recruitment for this position had been historically problematic and the vacancy had been open for some time.
edburydaley immediately identified two stand out candidates and helped the client reach offer stage within seven weeks of briefing us on the role, despite a three week period between first and second interviews. We had also identified an additional reserve candidate whom would have been offered if the preferred candidate had not have accepted the role.
• edburydaley has again demonstrated the qualities that enable us to consistently deliver excellent Procurement and Vendor Management candidates for our blue chip clients. Our particular strengths include:
• We are outstandingly well networked across the UK Procurement community from CPO’s through to the best emerging graduate talent.
• A contingency service which encompasses a range of resourcing methods enabling us to find candidates when competitor organisations have run out of ideas.
• Our Talent Identification Programme where we proactively research the most competitive areas of the market (e.g. Category Managers for Indirect spend) has proved invaluable when it comes to reacting quickly to client needs and finding candidates for the most challenging roles.
Andrew Daley – Director
Account Manager & Sourcing Lead for the Head of Procurement appointment – 0161 776 4603
Chris McGowan – Consultant
Sourcing Lead for Category & Vendor Management appointments – 0161 776 4605
Hannah Jackson – Principal Consultant
Candidate Sourcing for all roles as part of our project team – 0161 776 4608